Friday, March 2, 2007

Not A Girl Not Yet A Woman

This is what Brittney Spears crooned a few years ago,and this is precisely my situation right now.Brittney Spears has herself transformed from a girl to a woman though not very succesfully if you ask me but she did it nevertheless and so will I,after all its only a matter of time....

My servant maid got married 2months ago,I remember my mum giving her some sarees and jewellery.I cant forget the sheer happiness on her face when she took them.My mom was feeling sad because she could no longer work for us as she would now live in her husband's village,my mom simply adored her....as for me.. I felt really weird because she was all of 18 years ready to settle in holy matrimony....and i have just turned 19 a few days ago.I wondered what it would be like to get married at such a young age.....for I still watch cartoons
A few days ago my mom came rushing into my room and told me that Anita had died.I gasped...then I wondered who Anita was... I asked my mom.....she was none other than my young 18 year old servant maid...
Her husband had killed her for dowry.We learnt that he had been harrasing her from day one....(I hope her husband gets hanged for such a heinous crime) Though I never really talked to her when she worked at our place.. I felt as though i had lost a friend...she was somebody who was my age but was very different from me...she lived in a world very much different from mine..I always saw a silent strength in her which is rare and that is why her death made me very sad.
She was just a girl who was forced to become a woman too soon...i'm sure she was a good wife or atleast she might have tried to be one but her life ended a little too soon...
Though her life was a short one..she will be remembered by me forever coz looking at her always made me feel damn lucky for living a life that i am and I am very grateful for that....and I'm still humming Brittney's song...

2 comments:

crazy zapper said...

u ve saluted a restless soul in the best possible way...
hats off pallavi...

spideyyan said...

Wat u did was supposed to be an act that was more than humane.......it was the best thing to do....though late, but the right thing to do.....