Sunday, November 30, 2008

The woman who got up again..

These past 4 days, I was (and still am), angry, frustrated, pissed or any other term which you would associate with sheer fury when I learnt about the attacks in Mumbai. But today after an extremely tiring day, as I sat down to read the newspaper, a small story of courage shown by one of the terror victims moved me so much that I cried inconsolably and my eyes are moist still.

This is the extraordinary story of Ameena Begum:

Shanu Begum, her husband Abdul Rehman, thier daughter Ameena Begum and her niece were waiting for for the Devgiri Express at the CST station in Mumbai to return to their hometown of Nizamabad, here in AP.
At around 10:15 in the night 2 armed terrorists entered the CST station and open fired at all those unsuspecting people. Instinctively everyone ducked to the ground for safety. But Ameena got up, to bring her father who had suffered bullet injuries to his knees. She was hit by the bullets but was still alive.
Suddenly, she realized that her niece was missing, and then she lifted herself up to bring her niece to safety. She was hit by the bullets again, this time she did not get up again. She suffered injuries to her head, chest, stomach and her teeth fell on the platform when one of the bullets hit her in the jaw.
"Ameena asked for water and breathed her last in my arms within a few seconds after consuming water." the wailing mother cried.


Ameena Begum was 20 years old. She was not trained in mortal combat. I'm sure her job description, if she did have one,had nothing about facing adversities like death. She was not a NSG commando, she was not an army jawan or a police officer, many of who carried out their esteeemed duty in sacrificing their lives. What made Ameena different, was that she was an ordinary citizen like you and me.

Her story has filled me with emotions that I can't fathom. I don't consider myself competent enough to pay a homage, that she rightfully deserves. But I shall try:

Today, I write with all my soul
With tears flowing down my cheeks
like never before..
A heart wrenching cry comes out
from deep within my core,
to salute a woman so pure..
She took in as much pain as she could endure..
had fallen once but got up again,
despite her frail body screaming- no more..


Now her death is a number,
in the many facts and figures around those who lay slain..
This humble poem is a tribute to her indomitable spirit,
her sacrifice wont go in vain..
Because,
the world may never know her,
but her courage will always be remembered by me..
For, I know, being the same age as her,
I am not as brave as she..

3 comments:

The Illuminator said...

Ameena was one of the many whose heroism will go unrecognized in the pages of history. We may not have been able to show the same courage as she did, but we can make sure that her gallantry does not go in vain. We have to make change happen so that there is no other 26/11!

In such circumstances, the sentiments matter more than the poem.

Labyrinthine said...

I wish Ameena could read what you have written about her,how much you grieved her death and saluted her bravery.Keep it up Pal.

Anonymous said...

kudos for ur fitting tribute to a person so much like u n me but...who had the courage to save the lives at the cost of her's....i really appreciate what u have done..